Have you ever looked at a map and really wondered about the information stored within?
In this class that spans fall & spring semesters, we begin by exploring the maps in the incredible book: All Over the Map: A Cartographic Odyssey by Mason & Miller. They will take us on a journey into what went into making some of the most incredible maps in the world.
Next, we will use the book as a springboard to explore those areas of the world (and others) in more depth and with more detail, including cultures, science, history, and more.
Join us as we explore:
- Our Earth’s waterways and how they shaped the land.
- Our cities and their secrets.
- Conflicts and changing political borders.
- Landscapes and our Earth’s topography.
- Economies and presenting data.
- Maps based on science– it’s not just about geology.
- Humans and their experiences, culture, and more.
- Mapping the world– bringing it all together.
- Our creativity, using our imaginations.
Through this exploration, we will discover more about the world and its history. And along the way, we will find out more about our past, our present, and ourselves.
“Teaching Mapping the World by Heart at Athena’s has been such a joy. So, when a former student asked me if I would teach a higher-level geography-inspired class, I was intrigued. A short time later, a current student’s family gifted me with an amazing book:
All Over the Map: A Cartographic Odyssey by Mason & Miller. Once I opened the book and saw the wealth of information those pages contained, I knew I had to bring that book to life. I can’t wait to go on this journey with you!”
~ Instructor Dr. Kirsten
“I cannot thank you enough for this year with our son. He has absolutely LOVED learning with you. He has looked forward to each live session and has been excited to share so many things he has learned throughout the year. ” ~Parent Pia R.