English encompasses several subjects—grammar, vocabulary, writing, and literature. These can be successfully taught separately, but that method diminishes the benefit students can find in each. By keeping the four elements together, students can better see their interaction and interdependence. Athena’s College Prep English classes teach all four aspects of English study using increasing difficulty and complexity appropriate to high school ability levels. For more information on Scope & Sequence and Ability Levels, please see the
Upper Level Language Arts Information Page.
This 11/12 class is designed to conclude high school English and lead seamlessly into college-level English skills and concepts. Students will:
- Review the function of literary elements and devices.
- Learn to use literary elements and devices to analyze more complex pieces of literature.
- Use literary devices to find the theme.
- Express literary analysis in writing.
- Polish academic writing skills, tools, and language.
Enrollment in this class unlocks Athena’s Academic Writing Resources Room packed full of academic writing resources and information as well as one-on-one help.
Note to Parents:
- This class features twice-weekly webinars.
- This course is one of Athena’s Upper-Level Language Arts courses. Click for more information.
This course leads into AP® English Literature & Composition.
“I just wanted to let you know that I received my AP Lit & Composition exam results and I got a 4!…I’m very appreciative of your guidance throughout the AP Lit course and thankful for all of your help over the past year. I am certain that the analytical skills I learned in your class will stick with me throughout my academic career.” Athena’s student, A.B., freshman