English encompasses several subjects—grammar, vocabulary, writing, and literature. These can be successfully taught separately, but that method diminishes the benefit students can find in each. By keeping the four elements together, students can better see their interaction and interdependence. Athena’s College Prep English classes teach all four aspects of English study using increasing difficulty and complexity appropriate to high school ability levels.
This 9/10 class is designed to help a student move from middle to high school material by building on previously mastered skills. Students will:
- Learn the meaning and function of advanced literary elements and begin to use those elements to analyze literature, including poetry, short stories, drama.
- Focus on mastering expository and persuasive writing styles while stepping into beginning analytical writing by learning how to express literary meanings and processes in an essay format.
- Focus on beginning and intermediate high school vocabulary words and literary terminology.
- Review middle school grammar concepts and begin to understand and master more complex grammatical structures including diagramming.
Enrollment in this class unlocks Athena’s Academic Writing Resources Room packed full of academic writing resources and information as well as one-on-one help.
Note to Parents:
- This class features twice-weekly webinars.
- This course is one of Athena’s Upper Level Language Arts courses. Click for more information.