In Advanced Think Books: Reading for Deep Thinkers, we enter the magical worlds found within the pages of classic and contemporary books. We use the stories as frameworks to generate independent thinking, encourage creativity, broaden vocabulary and enable intelligent and articulate discussion around the themes included in the text.
Sometimes it is hard to get children engaged in reading, and even harder to get them to share their ideas and learning. At Athena’s, we’ve found that adapting the Great Books Foundation’s Shared Inquiry™ approach to our platform is very effective in inspiring students to actively engage in the books we read.
In this course, students generate questions about the book or chapters they read and bring them to the webinar class. Their questions, coupled with the skilled questioning of the instructor, enable a rich exploration of the ideas, concepts and meaning of what they have read.
A lively discussion, generated by the group, enables a deeper exploration and understanding of the text. Because our webinars offer the option for students to join in verbally or via the chat room, we see that everyone feels comfortable participating.
- reading comprehension
- critical thinking
Note to Parents:
- Think Books and Advanced Think Books are both divided into two semesters, fall and spring.
- The Think Books series follows in progression in the same time slot over a two-year period:
- Think Books: Fall Semester
- Think Books: Spring Semester
- Advanced Think Books: Fall Semester
- Advanced Think Books: Spring Semester