High School Chemistry – Year-long Course
“I love helping gifted students foster their creativity and curiosity to keep them asking the big questions and seeking answers in all of life’s adventures.” ~ Prof. Katie
|Instructor||Prof. Katie Koessler|
|Content Levels||Grades 9-10 • Lower High School|
Grades 11-12 • Upper High School
|Course Length||32 Weeks - Year-long|
|Live Webinars Held On||Mondays, 3 PM Pacific - 50-75 minute webinars - 8/15/22 - 5/20/23|
Take a look around you. Everything that you see and interact with has been influenced by chemistry. This full-year introductory high school chemistry course is designed to give a comprehensive overview of the study of matter, the formation of molecules, and their interactions to form complex chemical compounds.
Students will gain an understanding of matter in all its forms and how physical and chemical changes can alter the properties and behaviors of matter. This course covers all essential concepts of a high school chemistry curriculum such as atomic structure, bonding interactions, properties of states of matter, thermodynamics, concepts of equilibria, and more. Students will experience a balanced combination of theory development, practical application of concepts, and problem-solving techniques.
Opportunities to practice hands-on science will be provided along with virtual opportunities to model chemical concepts. The course will utilize principles of scientific inquiry to promote the sense-making of abstract concepts and build interconnections between topics in science, technology, society, and the environment.
What to expect in the Required section in the classroom each week:
- Read up to one chapter from the required Chemistry text each week..
- Answer review questions, complete labs and conduct independent research to enrich student learning.
What to expect in the Highly Suggested & Optional sections in the classroom each week:
- To excite learners and to add depth to the subject matter, curated resources, including websites & videos, are provided.
What to expect during the weekly webinar:
- Weekly webinars will last between 50-75 minutes long. Webinars are recorded and are available for students with schedule conflicts.
- Primary instruction and guided discussions are provided during live webinars.
- Active Participation (via the microphone and chat) in online class discussions.
Before taking this course, students should be able to:
- Read non-fiction at a strong 8th-grade level.
- Students should have completed one or more of the following:
Students should be willing to:
- Actively participate (via the microphone) in the class discussion.
- Encourage class discussion by adding their questions/ideas in the chat window during the webinar.
- Respond with positive and encouraging comments on their classmates’ posts in the classroom forums.
Required books & materials:
- Students are encouraged to keep a Chemistry notebook.
- A master list of materials needed for labs will be distributed during the first week of class.
- OpenStax Chemistry – Free – https://openstax.org/details/books/chemistry-atoms-first-2e
- Lab Manual in review: TBD