Introduction to Herpetology – Junior Instructor
“I learned a lot more about snakes than I would have if I had just studied on my own or done boring normal science. It is nice to be with other people who share a love of snakes because my family doesn’t appreciate them.” ~ Student, Sophia K.
Step 1: Register Your Student
Step 2: Enroll Your Registered Student
This class explores the mysterious and often overlooked world of reptiles and amphibians, covering their characteristics, behavior, appearance, and more! Whether you like them or maybe are a bit scared of them, this class will help you learn more about them. This class is intended for older elementary students, however some reading passages may be more difficult and require adult assistance.
Topics covered in this workshop include an overview of reptile and amphibian characteristics in various groups, reptile and amphibian conservation, reptile and amphibian evolution, reptiles and amphibians in the environment, and how humans interact with reptiles and amphibians.
What to expect in the Required section in the classroom each week:
- One or two forums and/or projects.
What to expect in the Highly Suggested & Optional sections in the classroom each week:
- Curated resources, including websites & videos, are provided to excite learners and to add depth to the subject matter.
What to expect during the weekly webinar:
- Weekly webinars are 50 minutes long. Webinars are recorded and are available for students with schedule conflicts.
- Primary instruction and guided discussions are provided during live webinars.
- Active Participation (via the microphone and chat) in online class discussions.
Before taking this course, students should be able to:
- Read at a solid 5th-grade level or above.
- Write a few sentences independently.
Students should be willing to:
- Actively participate (via the microphone) in the class discussion.
- Encourage class discussion by adding their questions/ideas in the chat window during the webinar.
- Respond with positive and encouraging comments on their classmates’ posts in the classroom forums.
Required books & materials:
- Weekly readings will be online, no textbook required.