Literary Analysis in Star Wars and the Realm of Disney+ – High School
NEW Course! “We love the Disney+ channel. Princesses! Superheroes! Space battles! What’s more, we can use these to learn literary analysis with symbolism, rhyme, rhythm, figures of speech and much more.” ~Prof. Valerie
Step 1: Register Your Student
Step 2: Enroll Your Registered Student
|Instructor||Prof. Valerie Frankel|
|Content Levels||Grades 9-10 • Lower High School|
Grades 11-12 • Upper High School
|Course Length||16 weeks|
|Live Webinars Held On||Tuesdays, 9:00 - 9:50 AM Pacific - 8/15/23 - 12/16/23|
In English class, we learn rhetorical devices, metafiction, symbolism, and so much more. Analyzing poetry teaches us rhyme and rhythm. With lots of practice in great literature, we can identify themes and motifs, allegory and allusion. For this class, we’ll practice all these skills, but apply them to fun popular works, all found on the Disney+ channel.
For this one, we’ll be adding more PG-13 shows–The Mandalorian, Black Panther, Rogue One, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Guardians of the Galaxy. We can look at symbolism and deeper Jungian growth in these, considering how costumes, music, and more combine to captivate us. Clever diction and wordplay appear in Pirates, Hamilton, and Into the Woods. The Mandalorian offers allusions to many genres. She-Hulk does satire and breaks the fourth wall. Captain Marvel flips many gender tropes and traditions. It’s also possible to write academic essays on these concepts. We’ll watch the shows on our own and then study them together, mastering literary analysis within the pop culture world.
What to expect in the Required section in the classroom each week:
- Assignments to practice terms
- Weekly assigned Disney+ video watching for homework
What to expect in the Highly Suggested & Optional sections in the classroom each week:
- Curated resources, including websites & videos, are provided to excite learners and to add depth to the subject matter.
- Additional lessons and resources to help students get more out of the lessons and research literary terms
What to expect during the weekly webinar:
- Weekly webinars are 50 minutes long. Webinars are recorded and are available for students with schedule conflicts.
- In-class analysis of film content as well as lessons on analysis and literary devices and how to find them in all forms of literature.
- Active Participation (via the microphone and chat) is encouraged in online class discussions and also during lectures.
Before taking this course, students should be able to:
- Read at a solid 4th-grade level or above.
- Type fluently.
- Write a paragraph independently.
Students should be willing to:
- Have an interest in learning more about the Disney/Marvel/Star Wars universe.
- Actively participate (via the microphone) in the class discussion.
- Encourage class discussion by adding their questions/ideas in the chat window during the webinar.
- Respond with positive and encouraging comments on their classmates’ posts in the classroom forums.
Required books & materials:
- Disney+ Subscription for:
- Note: Some of these films are rated PG-13
- The Mandalorian
- The Force Awakens
- Rogue One
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Into the Woods
- Ms. Marvel
- Black Panther
- Wakanda Forever
- Captain Marvel
- Guardians of the Galaxy