Literature & Fashion: Anne of Green Gables – Junior Instructor – Early Semester
“Books are adventures contained in white pages, and I am so excited to share this one with you!” ~Leah the Fashion Fan
|Junior Instructor||Leah the Fashion Fan|
|Content Levels||Grades 5-6 • Upper Elementary|
Grades 6-7 • Middle School
Grades 7-8 • Junior High
|Course Length||8 Weeks|
|Live Webinars Held On||Mondays, 2:00 - 2:50 PM Pacific - Early Semester - 8/15/22 - 10/15/22|
Have you ever read a book and wondered what it would be like to live within its pages? Maybe you even dreamed of befriending the characters, or maybe a description of food was so realistic that you longed to try it. There are so many aspects of a story that an author has to balance to make it work. When done properly, however, a novel can come alive even more so than a movie.
One aspect of a novel often underestimated is fashion. In films, the creators have no choice but to give characters costumes. In a novel, though, the author can easily not give much thought to this subject. So, we’re going to go ahead and jump in!
In this course, we will read and discuss a timeless classic: Anne of Green Gables. Additionally, we learn the basics of Victorian fashion. During the last webinar, students will present a project based on one of the characters from the book.
I hope you will join me on this literary and design adventure. Let’s explore Avonlea together!
What to expect in the Required section in the classroom each week:
- Two forums and/or projects.
- 4-5 chapters of reading
What to expect in the Highly Suggested & Optional sections in the classroom each week:
- Curated resources, including websites & videos, are provided to excite learners and to add depth to the subject matter.
What to expect during the weekly webinar:
- Weekly webinars are 50 minutes long. Webinars are recorded and are available for students with schedule conflicts.
- Primary instruction and guided discussions are provided during live webinars.
- Active Participation (via the microphone and chat) in online class discussions.
Before taking this course, students should be able to:
- Read at a solid 5th-grade level or above.
- Write a few sentences independently.
Students should be willing to:
- Actively participate (via the microphone) in the class discussion.
- Encourage class discussion by adding their questions/ideas in the chat window during the webinar.
- Respond with positive and encouraging comments on their classmates’ posts in the classroom forums.
Required books & materials:
- Anne of Green Gables – original/unabridged