Mental Math B – Middle Fall
“Mental math tricks boost kids’ confidence, improve their memory, math logic, computation speed, problem-solving, and so much more” ~Prof. Lidiya
Please note: The start date for this course differs from other courses.
Step 1: Register Your Student
Step 2: Enroll Your Registered Student
|Instructor||Prof. Lidiya Gettya|
|Content Levels||Grades 3-4 • Elementary|
Grades 5-6 • Upper Elementary
|Course Length||8 weeks|
|Live Webinars Held On||Tuesdays, 9:00 - 9:50 AM Pacific - Middle Semester - 10/24/23 - 12/23/23|
This is the second course in a series of Mental Math classes. Mental Math B is for upper elementary age students who completed Mental Math A, very quick with mental multiplication up to 15, and comfortable with multiplication of three and four digit numbers.
Students will learn:
- Vertical method of mental multiplication
- Crosswise method of mental multiplication
- Speed multiplication and division techniques
- Multiplication of decimals and fractions
- How to test numbers for divisibility
- Speed multiplication by 11
- Division by factors method
Note to parents:
- Students need to know the multiplication table up to 15 in order to enroll in this class as well as have completed Mental Math A.
What to expect in the Required section in the classroom each week:
- Complete weekly practice assignments using the required app.
- Complete worksheets in order to practice new learned skills during the webinar.
- Online practice games may be offered for additional practice during some weeks.
What to expect in the Highly Suggested & Optional sections in the classroom each week:
- Videos and video tutorials about different mental math strategies.
- Additional optional practice sheets.
- Curated resources, including websites & videos, are provided to excite learners and to add depth to the subject matter, or just for fun.
What to expect during the weekly webinar:
- Weekly webinars are 50 minutes long. Webinars are recorded and are available for students with schedule conflicts.
- Primary instruction and guided discussions are provided during live webinars.
- Active Participation (via the microphone and chat) is expected.
Before taking this course, students should:
- Know multiplication table up to 15.
- Have completed the Mental Math A course.
Students should be willing to:
- Actively participate (via the microphone and chat) in the class discussion.
- Encourage class discussion by adding their questions/ideas in the chat window during the webinar.
Required books & materials:
- Math Tricks Workout App (for Android users) – This is a preferred option for all students. However, if you do not have Android devices at home, you may use option 2 below.
- Option 2: Math Tricks (for iOS users)
- B. Hadley “Speed Math for Kids: The Fast, Fun Way To Do Basic Calculations”