Mental Math C
NEW Course! “Mental math tricks boost kids’ confidence, improve their memory, math logic, computation speed, problem solving, and so much more” ~Prof. Lidiya
|Instructor||Prof. Lidiya Gettya|
|Content Levels||Grades 5-6 • Upper Elementary|
Grades 6-7 • Middle School
|Course Length||8 weeks|
|Live Webinars Held On||Tuesdays, 10:00 - 10:50 AM Pacific - Early Semester - 8/16/22 - 10/15/22|
This is the third course in a series of Mental Math classes.
This course is for upper elementary and early middle school age students who completed Mental Math A and Mental Math B courses (Pre-test can be given to identify the student’s most appropriate placement). In Mental Math C, students will learn:
- Dividing any number by a single digit divisor mentally
- Quick mental manipulation of fractions
- Multiplying and dividing decimals mentally
- Speed math tricks of fractions with divisors ending in 9 and in 1
- Checking answers with Digit Sums
- Finding percentages of two and three digit numbers
- Percentage increase and decrease and mental calculation of tips at the restaurant
- Divisibility rule
- The Osculation method
Note to parents:
- Students need to know their multiplication tables up to x12 & have full understanding of fractions, decimals, percentages and exponents in order to enroll in this class.
What to expect in the Required section in the classroom each week:
- Complete weekly practice assignments using class required app
- Complete worksheets in order to practice new learned skills during the webinar
- Online practice games may be offered for additional practice during some weeks
What to expect in the Highly Suggested & Optional sections in the classroom each week:
- Videos and video tutorials about different mental math strategies
- Additional optional practice sheets
- Curated resources, including websites & videos, are provided to excite learners and to add depth to the subject matter, or just for fun.
What to expect during the weekly webinar:
- Weekly webinars are 50 minutes long. Webinars are recorded and are available for students with schedule conflicts.
- Primary instruction and guided discussions are provided during live webinars.
- Active Participation (via the microphone and chat) is expected.
Before taking this course, students should:
- Know multiplication table up to 12
- Have full understanding of fractions, decimals, percentages and exponents
- Have completed Mental Math A and Mental Math B courses
Students should be willing to:
- Actively participate (via the microphone and chat) in the class discussion.
- Encourage class discussion by adding their questions/ideas in the chat window during the webinar.
Required books & materials:
- Math Tricks Workout – Math Master –Brain training app (unfortunately available for android only) by JustQuant.com. This is the preferred app to be used for homework assignments.
- Alternative App for iOS users: Math Tricks (100+) Pro by Antoni Ion
- “Mental Math: Grade 8 Mathematics” – direct link to file – https://www.edu.gov.mb.ca/k12/cur/math/mm_gr8/index.html