How do you describe a course that will be developed in real time by the students who join it? This course is a dynamic, supportive environment for LGBTQ+ kids and their allies.
We will read books and articles, watch movies and documentaries, read and watch the news, and discuss our daily lives. We’ll delve into the lives and achievements of queer folk throughout history and in our modern world.
This course offers a positive space for students who may feel marginalized in their daily lives or confused about their role in our current culture. The course is inquiry-based and has no set curriculum.
IMPORTANT note to parents:
This course is not age-restricted. However, parents should be very sure of their student’s maturity level and intellectual level before enrolling:
- The course may not offer trigger warnings because we will be accessing materials dynamically.
- The course will explore works written at high school and college level.
- The course may include unrated or R-rated films.
- The course may include frank discussions of sexuality as initiated by students or professionals visiting the classroom.
- As such, the course may not be appropriate for younger students and students who suffer from anxiety.
A note about scholarships:
- A limited number of scholarships will be available for students current suffering economic distress in their households. Please contact the instructor for information.