Star Wars Camp
“Star Wars is such a fun world with the snarky underdogs characters, and it’s only grown from there. I remember my mythology teacher showing us how it’s the same pattern as our greatest legends, now updated to a cool space adventure. The sequels were uneven, but The Mandalorian’s managed to hook us all over again…now I’ve written five books on the series with more on the way.” ~Prof. Valerie
Step 1: Register Your Student
Step 2: Enroll Your Registered Student
|Instructor||Prof. Valerie Frankel|
|Content Levels||Grades 6-7 • Middle School|
Grades 7-8 • Junior High
|Course Length||6 Weeks|
|Live Webinars Held On||Tuesdays, 2:00 - 2:50 PM Pacific - See below for webinar dates|
Traveling through Star Wars, from classic Luke, Han, and Leia to the Mandalorian and his adorable sidekick, we’ll explore the lore of this popular series. With new shows out, we’ll look at Obi-Wan, Boba Fett, Bad Batch, Andor, Visions, and Young Jedi Adventures. Why is this grabbing world fandom beyond nearly any other franchise?
We’ll also learn about the series’ reactions to history, from World War II to feminism, and also discover symbolism, mythic themes, and all the tools of deep analysis, using this beloved universe. Within the universe, we’ll explore the history of Mandalore, the Jedi, and all the deep lore.
Bring your loves and nitpicks for all our discussions. We’ll also speculate on the coolest Mandalorian gadgets, perfect lightsaber, and all the things we’d do in this universe.
Course Webinar Dates:
- Tuesday, May 23
- Tuesday, May 30
- Tuesday, June 6
- Tuesday, June 13
- Tuesday, June 20
- Tuesday, June 27
What to expect in the Required section in the classroom each week:
- Class discussion topics
- Related articles to read
- Reader responses or similar activities
What to expect in the Highly Suggested & Optional sections in the classroom each week:
- Recommended watching of related Star Wars films and shows, all available on Disney plus.
- Curated resources, including websites & videos, are provided to excite learners and to add depth to the subject matter.
- Additional lessons and resources to help students get more out of the lessons and pursue their love of Star Wars.
What to expect during the weekly webinar:
- Weekly webinars are 50 minutes long. Webinars are recorded and are available for students with schedule conflicts.
- Lecture with slides on the history, symbolism, and context of films and other Star Wars media, accompanied by discussion, activities, and student observations.
- Active Participation (via the microphone and chat) is encouraged in online class discussions and also during lectures.
Before taking this course, students should be able to:
- Read at a solid 5th-grade level or above.
- Type fluently.
- Write a paragraph independently.
- Have some familiarity with Star Wars (any properties or eras—all is not required)
Students should be willing to:
- Write paragraphs and answer discussion questions for regular homework.
- Critically think about Star Wars in its historical context.
- Actively participate (via the microphone) in the class discussion.
- Encourage class discussion by adding their questions/ideas in the chat window during the webinar.
Required books & materials:
- Disney Plus Subscription
- (We’ll be watching selections from The Mandalorian, Obi-Wan, Boba Fett, Bad Batch, Andor, Visions, and Young Jedi Adventures)