This class would be fun for anyone interested in STEM!
Students will create and present engineering projects, work on math riddles and collaborate with each other to create solutions to various engineering challenges. Building and testing bridges in Poly Bridge, learning about science and working on logic and sequential reasoning problems – are all the things that make this course challenging and fun.
Math comprehension of 5th grade level or above is required for this class.
Click the “What to Expect” tab to see the list of topics we’ll cover.
Note to parents:
- STEM Critical Thinking is offered in three different sections: Section A, B, and C. STEM A and B should be taken before STEM C (exception can be made with Prof. Lidiya’s permission).
What to expect in the Required section in the classroom each week:
- One project submitted to forum via photo or video. Students must respond and discuss each other’s projects during the week.
- Complete math and reasoning riddles.
- Complete a Poly Bridge assignment.
What to expect in the Highly Suggested & Optional sections in the classroom each week:
- Supplemental 3D and Spatial assignments will offer additional learning opportunities.
- Curated resources, including websites & videos, are provided to excite learners and to add depth to the subject matter, or just for fun.
What to expect during the weekly webinar:
- Weekly webinars are 50 minutes long. Webinars are recorded and are available for students with schedule conflicts.
- Primary instruction and guided discussions are provided during live webinars.
- Active Participation (via the microphone and chat) is expected.
What to Expect During the Semester:
Topics will include:
- Each week students will cover a topic in Engineering, Math/Science, Logic/ Critical Thinking and Technology fields of STEM.
- Weekly engineering challenges using simple supplies found around the house.
- “Math Detectives” and cryptography riddles
- Weekly challenge using Poly Bridge game
- Learning how to apply “out of the box” critical thinking in all fields of STEM
- Connecting Science Technology Engineering and Math with everyday life
Before taking this course, students should be able to:
- Math comprehension of 5th grade level or above.
- Have taken the STEM Critical Thinking A and STEM Critical Thinking B courses.
- Engage in critical thinking about the material, and work to present their ideas clearly.
- Respond constructively to their classmates’ ideas, even when disagreeing.
Students should be willing to:
- Prepare and post projects on time and be ready and willing to discuss them during webinar.
- Actively participate (via the microphone and chat) in the class discussion.
- Encourage class discussion by adding their questions/ideas in the chat window during the webinar.
Required books & materials:
- Most of the materials will be available online.
- Parents must purchase and download the Steam version of Poly Bridge or Poly Bridge 2 for PC or Mac. http://polybridge.drycactus.com/
- “Mastering Logic & Math Problem Solving” – https://www.criticalthinking.com/mastering-logic-math-problem-solving-book.html
- “Daily Mind Builders™: Science” – https://www.criticalthinking.com/daily-mind-builders-science.html
- Other worksheets and articles will be provided by the teacher