Teen Homeroom creates a space for teens to explore their personal and educational goals, make plans for their current and future education, and support each other.
The Homeroom is a once-a-week meeting place for students the way that “homeroom” would be in high school. Although they will all be taking different courses—some at Athena’s or other online schools, some at their local school, some from private teachers or through self-study—they will come together to discuss the work they have, learn time management and organization techniques, learn about the teen brain, and explore their options.
This 16-week course is geared toward supporting teens as they negotiate the complexities of social development, high school academics, early college academics, and career development.
- Students who have already taken Suki’s Goal-Setting for Teens course will start immediately into Homeroom, meeting weekly and forming plans for their semester and beyond.
- Students who have not taken Suki’s Goal-Setting for Teens course will start in Homeroom integrated with the initial 7-week Goal-Setting course.
- The course includes a bonus Parent Session halfway through.
- After completion of the Goal-Setting course, the Homeroom portion of the course continues for the rest of the semester, so that students can keep themselves on task and support each other.
- Each semester integrates students new to Goal-Setting with veteran students who are continuing in Homeroom to create a focal point for their high school education.
- Both Homeroom and Goal-Setting include synchronous and asynchronous activities. See “What to Expect” for details about our live webinars.
Note to parents:
- This course is restricted to students aged 13 and older, whether or not they are currently in high school or pursuing early college. Please query instructor about early admission for 12-year-olds.
- Parent workshop: The course includes a bonus meeting just for parents to discuss how to support their students. We will address questions and concerns that parents may have. The meeting will be scheduled through a survey of parent availability.
- The course is appropriate for both school and homeschool students.
- School funds may not be used for this course.
- This course may be repeated.
A word from the instructor:
- “I felt like I’ve grown a lot more confident in my abilities after taking this class, both as a student and with actually completing my work. Suki taught me a lot about how to manage my life, and how to balance work and play.”
- “Prof. Suki is good at keeping everybody on track and being able to teach things that normally might be kind of boring but making it fun.”
- “I’ve enjoyed talking with other kids my age because it’s interesting to get other points of view.”
- “It was very supportive, and it was easy to keep track of the schedule and what we do every week.”
- Enroll Your Registered student in HOMEROOM ONLY (student has completed Goal-Setting previously) $199.00
- Enroll Your Registered student in HOMEROOM with GOAL-SETTING (required for students new to Goal-Setting) $299.00