One-on-One Tutoring with Dr. Karen – Spring
“Math: If you are as confused with the “new math” as your child, and the most common phrase in your home is “I hate math!” tutoring may be a great solution. While focusing on minimizing math anxiety and supporting emotional learning, I’ll apply an open hearted light touch that is used to relax the learning environment. We use real-world examples and common household items to learn how to make learning math successful.” ~Dr. Karen
“Writing: Does your child avoid writing because it seems overwhelming? Are they struggling with the mechanics and organization? Maybe your child is a voracious reader, but struggles to put their thoughts together. Reading/Writing and Speaking/Listening are interconnected and we will practice all four skills based on your child’s interests and needs.” ~Dr. Karen
Step 1: Register Your Student
Step 2: Enroll Your Registered Student
|Dr. Karen Arnstein
|Grades 3-4 • Elementary
Grades 5-6 • Upper Elementary
Grades 6-7 • Middle School
Grades 7-8 • Junior High
Grades 9-10 • Lower High School
Grades 11-12 • Upper High School
|Live Webinars Held On
|Between 1/22/24 - 5/18/24
There are many reasons to do one-on-one math or writing tutoring for your child, but the main reason is that they will receive individualized approaches tailored to their learning style in a safe and relaxing space. Dr. Karen is knowledgeable in educational pedagogy for the gifted and twice-exceptional (2e) and works from the understanding that learners need to create their own knowledge.
- Math: The emphasis is on learning how math works and being able to apply their knowledge to create their own rules while minimizing dependence on memorization. I use real-world examples and physical objects to demonstrate math and writing concepts that have proven successful for students. Who knew we could use toys such as LEGOS to understand and manipulate fractions?
- Writing: The emphasis for writing is to learn how written and spoken communication work in our daily lives. I use real-world examples based on your child’s interests and needs to create a personalized curriculum with goals to build confidence with written and spoken communication. Some of our prompts will include deconstructing examples as well as writing reviews of their favorite musician or film!
Your child can work at their own pace, tackle challenges, and develop a positive attitude towards math and written communications in our everyday world.
Students in 3rd through 12th grade will find help and support with Dr. Karen. All tutoring sessions are personalized and geared toward the student’s individual needs.
Free 30-minute consultation and pre-test: The 30-minute, free consultation and evaluation will be scheduled before the first session. An email will be sent to parents with an Interest and Concerns form. At the live meeting, Dr. Karen, the student, and their parents will get together to assess the situation, discuss options, and go over a proposed plan of action. An individualized plan with set goals and benchmarks will be emailed to the student and parents within a few days after the consultation.
Scheduling: Dr. Karen is available Tuesday mornings, Wednesday afternoons, Thursday mornings, and Friday mornings.
Progress Evaluations: A brief meeting with the student and their parents will be set every 4 weeks to review the progress and discuss if any plan adjustments need to be made to achieve set goals.
Questions? Please feel free to ask questions by emailing the instructor: Dr. Karen Arnstein
What to expect during the tutoring webinar:
- Weekly tutoring webinars are 60 minutes long. Webinars are recorded and are made available to students and parents for future reference.
- During the webinar, your student will receive primary instruction and review the prior week’s assigned homework. The teacher and student will both share the screen so the student can actively write math problems and do interactive graphing or comments on the screen.
- Parents may be asked to purchase additional workbooks, graphing paper, or other material that the instructor might find necessary.
Tutoring Session Length:
- 8 hours
Students should be willing to:
- Be prepared for the webinar by bringing materials and/or ideas.
- Finish assignments before the webinar so we can discuss them.
- Actively participate via the microphone.
- Maintain communication via email.