Write & Publish a Book
“Reading and writing are such a massive part of my life that they consume every moment. I always have great reading recommendations to offer and can help you see so much of what is happening below the surface of your favorite stories, and even movies and TV shows. If you would like to see the types of essays I write (paper length and book length), you can take a look and see what I do all day. We are all going to be learning together, so here we can discuss more about how to do so and also bond through considering our favorite books and how we write.” ~Prof. Valerie
Step 1: Register Your Student
Step 2: Enroll Your Registered Student
|Instructor||Prof. Valerie Frankel|
|Content Levels||Grades 5-6 • Upper Elementary|
Grades 6-7 • Middle School
Grades 7-8 • Junior High
|Course Length||16 weeks|
|Live Webinars Held On||Thursdays, 10:00 - 10:50 AM Pacific - 1/19/23 - 5/20/23|
Yes, you can become a real author!
This class, led by an award-winning and massively productive author, teaches kids the fundamentals of book writing: plot, character, scenes, and outline, and guides them through writing a novel about anything they desire.
Weekly webinars will keep students on track with their projects and offer feedback. With a little written each week, students can complete real books, and then self-publish them in ebook or paperback!
- This class has a large homework commitment, as students will be writing an entire book. The length of the book is flexible, but students often don’t really think about how big a book is. Nonetheless, many students complete the project, as they’re very excited about doing it. Students will also make their own homework plan on the first day, deciding how much they will write each week. This class improves self-discipline, reading, writing, grammar, self-editing, and style, while allowing kids to express themselves creatively.
What to expect in the Required section in the classroom each week:
- Write a few pages of their novel on a schedule they plan the first day.
- Read three chapters of the class book.
- Read some of a book they’ve chosen as a model for their project.
- Note to parents: This class has a large homework commitment, as students will be writing an entire book. The length of the book is flexible, but students often don’t really think about how big a book is. Nonetheless, many students complete the project, as they’re very excited about doing it. Students will also make their own homework plan on the first day, deciding how much they will write each week. This class improves self-discipline, reading, writing, grammar, self-editing, and style, while allowing kids to express themselves creatively.
What to expect in the Highly Suggested & Optional sections in the classroom each week:
- Curated resources, including websites & videos, are provided to excite learners and to add depth to the subject matter.
- Additional lessons and resources to help students get more out of the lessons and pursue their chosen styles of writing.
What to expect during the weekly webinar:
- Weekly webinars are 50 minutes long. Webinars are recorded and are available for students with schedule conflicts.
- In-class workshops as well as lessons on improving prose, style, and fiction techniques and how to apply techniques to their own writing.
- Active Participation (via the microphone and chat) is encouraged in online class discussions and also during lectures.
Before taking this course, students should be able to:
- Read at a solid 5th-grade level or above.
- Type fluently.
- Write a paragraph independently.
Students should be willing to:
- Write several pages each week and also read several chapters of fiction. The drive and creativity to write original fiction is a must.
- Actively participate (via the microphone) in the class discussion.
- Encourage class discussion by adding their questions/ideas in the chat window during the webinar.
- Workshop others’ stories in a supportive and helpful manner.
- Respond with positive and encouraging comments on their classmates’ posts in the classroom forums.
Required books & materials:
- Individual novel to be chosen by each student (ebook or library book is fine)
- “Sal and Gabi Break the Universe” by Carlos Hernandez
- ISBN-10 : 1368022820
- ISBN-13 : 978-1368022828