Math Club – Junior Instructor – Middle Semester
“Math is so much more than a bunch of numbers, shapes, and variables. There are so many ways to think about each problem. Many different ways of thinking can all be right at the same time. I am excited to share the magic of mathematics.” ~ Oliver the Mathemagician
|Junior Instructor||Oliver the Mathemagician|
|Content Levels||Grades 6-7 • Middle School|
Grades 7-8 • Junior High
|Course Length||8 Weeks|
|Live Webinars Held On||Mondays, 9:00 - 9:50 AM Pacific - Middle Semester - 10/17/22 - 12/17/22|
Want to solve juicy math problems in a fun non-competitive environment? Want to learn cool shortcuts to problems that look hard?
Join us for an 8-week venture into the world of mathematics!
Topics that will be covered include:
- Basic Algebra
- Basic Geometry
- Number Theory
- Counting and Probability
- Problem-solving strategies
The problems will be MATHCOUNTS-level.
Note to Parents:
What to expect in the Required section in the classroom each week:
- A MATHCOUNTS® Mini video and a worksheet. Students need to work as many of the worksheet problems as they can.
- Complete as many worksheet problems as you can before the webinar so that we can use the webinar time to discuss solutions.
- A Problem of the Week, and a forum assignment where students post their solutions each week.
- Students will be given problems to work before the webinars.
What to expect in the Highly Suggested & Optional sections in the classroom each week:
- Bonus math problems, generally not from the MATHCOUNTS® Minis. We may or may not go through the solutions to these in the webinar, although solutions will be available on the course webpage.
What to expect during the weekly webinar:
- Weekly webinars are 50 minutes long. Webinars are recorded and are available for students with schedule conflicts.
- Discuss select problems from the worksheet (not the problems in the video) via microphone and chat.
Before taking this course, students should be able to:
- Do arithmetic, fractions, and percents.
- Recognize basic geometric shapes, like triangles, squares, rectangles, and hexagons.
- Understand the meaning of variables and equations.
Students should be willing to:
- Complete and stay current on the required videos and problems for the class.
- Be prepared for the webinar.
- Actively participate (via the microphone or chat) during discussion.
- Encourage class discussion by adding their questions/ideas in the chat window during the webinar.
Required books & materials: